History & Timeline
Historic Timeline for Abernethy Laurels Retirement Community
- 1965 - J.W. and Maye Morrison Abernethy donated land and pledged to match donations given to develop United Church Home in Newton.
- 1970 - Construction begins on the original home for seniors.
- 1971 - The first residents move in, August of this year.
- 1976 - Thirty additional skilled nursing beds are added.
- 1981 - the first Village residences are consturcted.
- 1982-1986 - Additional cottages, villas and apartments are constructed in the Village.
- 1989 - The Pavilion is constructed to provide apartment living close to the health center.
- 1998 - Sink Lane cottages and villas constructed.
- 2007 - 40,000 square foot Community Center added to enrich campus life.